Crochet granny squares are a classic and versatile design that can be used to create beautiful and functional items for the home. One popular variation of the traditional granny square is the farmhouse granny square. In this article, we will explore what makes a granny square a farmhouse design, how to crochet one, and some ideas for using them in your home decor.
What is a Farmhouse Granny Square?
A farmhouse granny square is a variation of the traditional granny square that typically uses neutral colors, natural fibers, and simple, rustic textures to create a cozy, farmhouse-style aesthetic. These squares are often worked in a combination of single crochet and double crochet stitches to create a dense, sturdy fabric.
To create a farmhouse granny square, you will need to choose yarns that fit this aesthetic. Look for natural fibers such as wool, cotton, or linen in shades of cream, beige, gray, or brown. You can also incorporate a pop of color by adding a few accent squares in a brighter hue.
How to Crochet a Farmhouse Granny Square
To crochet a farmhouse granny square, you will need to be familiar with basic crochet stitches such as chain stitch, single crochet, and double crochet. Here is a step-by-step guide to making one square:
- Begin with a magic ring or chain 4 and join into a ring with a slip stitch.
- Chain 3 (counts as first double crochet), then work 2 double crochet into the ring. Chain 2, then work 3 double crochet into the ring. This is your first cluster.
- Chain 2, then work 3 double crochet into the ring, followed by another chain 2. Repeat this pattern (3 double crochet, chain 2, 3 double crochet, chain 2) two more times to create a total of four clusters.
- Join with a slip stitch to the top of the beginning chain 3.
- Slip stitch into the next 2 stitches and into the next chain 2 space. Chain 3 (counts as first double crochet), then work 2 double crochet into the same chain 2 space. Chain 2, then work 3 double crochet into the same chain 2 space. This is your first corner.
- Chain 1, then work 3 double crochet into the next chain 2 space. Chain 2, then work 3 double crochet into the same chain 2 space. This is your next corner.
- Repeat step 6 in each chain 2 space around the square, working 3 double crochet, chain 2, 3 double crochet in each corner and 3 double crochet in each chain 1 space.
- Join with a slip stitch to the top of the beginning chain 3. Fasten off and weave in ends.
Ideas for Using Farmhouse Granny Squares in Home Decor
Farmhouse granny squares can be used to create a variety of home decor items, from blankets and pillows to coasters and trivets. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Blanket – Use a combination of farmhouse granny squares and solid squares in coordinating colors to create a cozy throw blanket for your living room or bedroom.
- Pillow – Make a set of coordinating pillows by crocheting farmhouse granny squares and joining them together to create a cover for a pillow insert.
- Coasters – Crochet small farmhouse granny squares and use them as coasters for your coffee table or dining table.
- Trivets – Crochet larger farmhouse granny squares and use them as trivets to protect your countertops and tabletops from hot dishes.
- Wall Hanging – Create a wall hanging by joining several farmhouse granny squares together and adding a simple wooden dowel for hanging.
- Table Runner – Crochet several long.
Access the free crochet pattern here.
And if you liked this pattern, but still want to see some more options of models of the most different crochet projects, below I will leave other free options for you to view:
It is with great respect to all our followers that the blog We Love Crochet Patterns wishes you all an excellent week, full of God’s blessings in your homes, much peace, joy, harmony, and especially many, many threads to start more a crochet yarn craft project.
With love and affection, We Love Crochet Patterns!